Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Leafing With Loss

Hockey and Business Travel are not a very good mix. Trying to watch or listen to hockey games while traveling for business is not the easiest thing to do. As much as I would like to get room service and listen to Chris King call a hockey game, it is important as the leader to rally the troops and go out to dinner with my staff and co-workers.

Don't get me wrong. We always have a great time and it is enjoyable. The food is usually good, the company is always engaging, and it is relaxing to get away from evaluating data analytics and trying to resolve business issues. But when I dig my knife into a New York Strip Steak and as I take sips on my glass of Malbec, part of me still wants to hear the uplifting, optimistic, and energetic voice of Chris King yell “Score…Islanders Goal!” Is that so wrong?

We walked north from the hotel to an area of downtown Buenos Aires called “Puerto Madero”. It is an area by the water with lots of restaurants and shopping next to a large canal. We ended up at a place called “The Happening” which I first experienced in Santiago, Chile a couple of years earlier. I knew it would be good.

As soon as I sat down I figured out what I wanted, ordered a bottle of wine for the table and took out my iPhone to click on TSN to check on the game. Just like last Saturday against the Penguins, the Islanders scored first on a goal by Leddy, his third of the young season. I immediately felt good about the game, just like I did on Saturday. I did not realize at the time what would transpire.

During dinner I frequently checked the score. I know it is rude to do that when out with others, but everyone else is on their smartphone too. The only difference is that while others check their email, I am staring at my iPhone secretly hoping for an Islanders goal. Unfortunately, the Leafs tied the game, but Tavares came right back with a quick power play goal to give the Islanders a 2-1 lead going into the second period. I still felt good about the game.

We finished up dinner and left the restaurant. Even thought I missed most of the game I felt relieved knowing I would be able to at least hear part of the second and all of the third period. However, maybe that was not the best thing. The Leafs scored four straight goals to take a commanding 5-2 lead at the end of the second period, which ended up being the final score. Halak was pulled going into the third period and was replaced by Chad Johnson. It is hard for me to comment on what went wrong being that I did not see the game and heard only a portion of the game. However, there seemed to be too many defensive mistakes in the Islanders half of the ice.

I was hoping the Pittsburgh game was an a one-off freak occurrence, but the result of this game was troubling. As the captain said after the game “We were not going to win the cup after six games anyway” (or something to that effect). He is right. Need to look at the glass half full. The Islanders are still 4-2 and can right this thing now to continue their momentum.

My business trip is halfway over. I know when I watch the games I feel that I have a vested interest in the result. Just need to have the team weather the storm the next week and a half until I can get back home. Business travel and hockey are not a good mix. The business travel will soon come to an end, but the hockey season is just starting. This is the best time of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment