Thursday, October 23, 2014

Back On Track

Tonight was another conflict between work and hockey in Buenos Aires. I had to go out to dinner with the team again. However, dinner was not until 9PM so I had an opportunity to hear the beginning of the Islanders - Bruins game from the Gahden in my hotel room. Laying down on the bed I heard Frans Nielsen get the good guys on the board first. You always want your team to score first. However, all I could think of was "here we go again". We scored first in Pittsburgh and also the other day against the Leafs and lost both games. Would there be a third loss in a row? It remained to be seen. I finished getting ready and went downstairs to meet the team to go out for dinner 

In the taxi I fired up TSN on the iPhone and started "refreshing" every couple of minutes. I kept my phone on the restaurant table and did not shut it off until the game went final. The Bruins tied the game, but the Islanders scored two straight goals to take a 3-1 lead heading into the third. Okposo got a feed from Tavares and then Clutterbuck and the fourth line got the eventual game winner. The Bruins made it close but the Islanders stood tall with Chad Johnson in goal. It was a good idea to start Johnson over Halak because he was undefeated in the Boston Gahden all last year. He made some key saves and the defense did not panic. It was an emotional game not only for Johnson but for Johnny Boychuk as well. It was his first game facing his old team after the big trade a couple of weeks ago. 

With all that the Islanders hung on with a 3-2 win. This was another good sign that this team is different this year. Last year the team would have faded in the third period and lost the game outright. The fact that they are more composed and confident with a slim lead is very positive. I did not watch or listen to the game but it read like a solid effort. Next is a home game against Dallas before a couple of games on the road. Need to keep the momentum going before that west coast trip in November. Just one more week before I leave Buenos Aires and head home to Atlanta. Can't wait to sit in my chair in the basement and see a live hockey game.

No comments:

Post a Comment