Thursday, November 6, 2014

SoCal Sweep

I was up at 5:00 AM this morning so it was no surprise that I was asleep by the time the puck dropped on the Islanders game at 10:30 PM. However, I was in luck. Right after the game started, Frank jumped up on me and woke me up. After that, I was wide-awake and had no problem keeping my eyes open for the entire first period.
 

It surely was fast and furious. Both teams had a lot of energy and were flying around at a very fast pace. The Kings got on the board first with an early goal that deflected off a couple players in front of Johnson. Before the period was over the Islanders got even on a power-play goal by Brock Nelson. New York's passing on the power play was crisp. Nelson was able to come out of the corner and put the puck underneath the arm of the Quick for the goal. The Kings would have their own power play before the period was over, but the Islanders were able to kill it easily.
 

The second period was a carbon copy of the first. Only difference is that there were more power plays for both teams and no goals. The Islanders even had a four-minute minor penalty but could not convert. It was a pretty even game as evidenced by the fact that the shots on goal were practically even. The pace was fast and the fact that both teams were playing well made it almost impossible to make a play. It's almost felt at the time that the next goal would probably come off of a bad bounce or bad break. It was another strong effort by the Islanders in back to back games in Southern California. Just like last night it would be a shame if the Islanders did not come away with a least a point in this game. They deserved it because they were playing well.
I went upstairs and ended up watching the third period In the bedroom. The Islanders were playing well and I felt that they were going to score goal. I wanted to be up to see it. One thing I've noticed about this team this year is that they are not over matched or intimidated by anybody. In the past it would seem that it was only a matter time before the other team would score a couple goals to put them out of their misery. This year they are in every game and in fact in more often than not are the better team.
 

The game went to overtime and the Islanders dominated with numerous chances including one open net chance by Visnovsky. It's hard to believe that the Islanders looked like the fresher team even though they were playing the second of two back to back games. The overtime was scoreless and the game went to a shootout. In the shootout Johnson stopped two shots and Okposo and Nielsen both put the biscuit in the basket to win the game. It was a very impressive win.
 

Back to back wins in Southern California evened out the Islanders West Coast trip at 2–2. The Islanders are now 8–5 overall. Now it's on to Arizona and if they can win Saturday night they can go home 9–5. And this is supposed to be November? I'm glad that I stayed up to watch the whole game. It was very exciting. And who do I have to thank for that? Frank of course! If he didn't wake me up I probably would've slept through the game. It's now going on 1:30 AM in the morning and I have to wake up in just a couple hours to go to work. I will be tired but it will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment