Friday, November 14, 2014

Hard Work Pays Off

They say that it is something that you cannot teach. It's the one thing that separates the average from the better than average. It can mask your deficiencies or accentuate your strengths. You are not born with it and you cannot buy it at any price. Those that don't understand how important it is will never have it. The only defense against it is to have a more stronger one. It requires commitment, dedication, and focus. It is called a work ethic.  I learned this a long time ago and I think the Islanders are finally learning it right before my eyes.

This week has been very hectic at work and today was the worst day of them all. It was meeting after meeting after meeting and there was still a ton of work to do.  I woke up this morning and got into the office around 7:00 AM.  I worked all day, barely had time for lunch, and before too long, I looked up and it was 6:00 PM.  I wanted to stay late and finish a report for a major project, however, I was too tired and knew there was a hockey game to watch. The Islanders were returning from a successful west coast trip and a 9-5 record.  I convinced myself that I could get some work done while watching the game at home.  So I left the office right then and there.

I decided to listen to the first period in the car.  It was a good thing that I did, because my DVR did not record the game.  Truth be told, I like listening to Chris King on WRHU radio. He calls a great game and he's a big Islander fan.  It's almost as good as watching the game live on TV.  Furthermore, for some reason, all of the games that on NHL Center ice have the visiting team announcers. I never get to hear the Islander announcers. Dish Network, where is Howie and Butch?

I got in my car I put the game on the radio. Within the first few minutes the Islanders struck first.  What else is new?  It has been a theme all year.  Yet another sign that this is not the same team as prior years. Nick Leddy got his 4th goal of the year on a slap shot from the left circle.  I did not know it at the time, but I could've turned off the radio at that point. It was only a few minutes later that the Islanders got another chance.  The Avalanche took a roughing penalty.  After the first power play until failed to score, Anders Lee got a gift goal from Varlamov when the goalie misplayed the puck right in front of the net.  Props to Lee for being in the right place a the right time.  It was Lee's 2nd goal of the season and gave the Islanders a quick 2-0 lead.  It was also the first power play goal by the second unit all year.

When I got home, I made a triple decker peanut butter sandwich and headed downstairs to work on my report.  I put the game on in the background and looked up at the screen from time to time.  In the second period, the Islanders continued to dominate.  Hamonic got his 2nd goal of the year from Tavares and Kulemin.  It was a slapper from the blue line with traffic in front of the net.  Then five minutes later, Kulemin got a short handed breakaway, went in confident to the net and put a nasty back hand shot past Varlamov for a 4-0 lead.  I hope Grabner was watching so that he could take some notes on how to finish one on one.  The Islanders had a commanding lead going into the last period.  I started to focus more on my report as I knew that the game was in hand.

In the third period, Czikas and Strome got their 1st goals of the year to make it 6-0 and that is where it ended.  Without a doubt it was the Islander's most impressive performance of the year.  I did not focus on the game, but I could tell that the Islander's were working harder than usual.  There have been too many times in the past where they would let teams get back into games after getting a lead.  That was last year and this is a new year.
  The Islanders played solid defense and got goals from six different players.  I call that a very balanced attack to say the least.

After such a dominating performance, it got lost amongst all of the headlines, it was almost overlooked that Halak got his second straight shutout.  He was very good, but he really was not tested.  That is due to the fact that the defense has been playing very well in front of him.  The Islanders outshot the Avalanche 46-20.  The Islanders moved to 10-5 and were off to Florida to take on the Panthers and Lightning.  It looks like the Islanders are finally getting it.  Hard work does indeed pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment